Monday, October 13, 2014

The Little Orange House

This is one of my favorite activities to do during the month of October.  It's a story about a little witch that was looking for a house.  She found a piece of construction paper and decide to make a house.

First, she folded the paper in half.   Next, she cut the corners to make a roof.  Then, she cut herself a door.  She had to make a point at one side for her tall hat.  She thought her house was perfect, but maybe just a little dark.  So, she cut herself a window.  Now, her house was perfect. 
She went back outside a saw a little ghost.  The ghost was sad and crying because he had no where to live.  She invited the ghost to live with her and even made the ghost his own special door.  In the end, the lived happily ever after!
 
Of course the actual story is a lot longer, with more detail, but you get the picture.  I do it in front of the kids and then ask if they'd like to see inside the witches house.  When I open up the house they are amazed!!! 



Next I pass out paper and let each of them to the house.  I retell the story, telling them exactlly where an how to cut.  I've been doing this 26 years.  Believe me, you will have atleast 1 (more like 3) that will not listen and then you will have tears.  Just do it again for those while the others clean up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment